top of page

Early Voting

Early voting begins October 13th and ends October 30th. Make sure to vote and vote early!

Where can you vote? Your polling location depends on where you live.


What do you need to vote? Follow this flow chart.

Don't have one of those forms of IDs? Don't worry, you can still vote.

If you’re a registered voter but do not possess one of the documents listed above, don’t worry, you can still vote a regular ballot! Here’s how:

  1. Bring one of the following to your voting site:

    • Valid voter registration card/certificate

    • Current utility bill (or a copy)

    • Bank statement (or a copy)

    • Government check (or a copy)

    • Paycheck (or a copy)

    • Current government document with your name and address on it

    • Certified birth certificate (must be an original)

  2. Fill out a form at the voting site stating that (1) you are who you say you are and (2) have a reasonable impediment or difficulty getting one of the acceptable photo IDs.

  3. Vote a regular ballot!


My name on my ID is a little different than what’s on my voter registration. Is that a problem?
Not a problem. Your name on your ID does not need to exactly match your name as it appears on your voter registration. As long as the two versions of your name are substantially similar, you will be allowed to vote with a regular ballot.

My address on my ID doesn’t match where I’m registered to vote? Is that a problem?
Your address as printed on your photo ID does not need to match your address as it appears on your voter registration. Even if these addresses are completely different, you will be allowed to vote with a regular ballot.

My photo ID is expired. Can I still use it?

  • For voters 18-69, your photo ID must be current or have expired no more than 4 years before you vote.

  • For voters 70 and older, your photo ID may be expired for any length of time.


I’d like to get an Election ID Certificate. How do I do that?

  • If you don’t have one of the accepted IDs, you can get a free Election ID Certificate from your nearest Department of Public Safety Office.

  • In order to get a free Election ID Certificate, you’ll need to bring documentation with you to verify your identity and to show that you are a U.S. citizen. Most people need an original birth certificate plus two supporting documents. Learn more about the document requirements here.

  • If you don’t have your birth certificate, you can get one from a Vital Records Office for free (if you go in person and tell them you need a birth certificate for voting), or online for $22.

Have more questions? Or want to talk through your particular situation?
Call 844-TX-VOTES for help!

bottom of page